China's Rising Leaders
The relationship between the United States and the People’s Republic of China (PRC) will define the Asia-Pacific region in the years to come. NBR’s China’s Rising Leaders program sought to enhance mutual understanding on issues of common concern, reduce mistrust, and forge vital new networks among PRC and U.S. leaders.
Each delegation consisted of a select group of mid-career rising leaders from China. Delegation members included a sitting judge, a vice-president at Baidu, several influential scholars, and well-known journalists.
The program has featured meetings with key decision-makers in Seattle, New York, and Washington, D.C., including:
- Meeting with the U.S.-China Working Group: Congressman Charles Boustany, Jr. (R–LA) and Congressman Rick Larsen (D–WA)
- Discussion on “The Future of U.S.-China Relations” with business leaders hosted by the Ford Motor Company
- Private meeting with former senior director for Asia at the National Security Council, Jeffrey Bader
- Private discussion with former senator and onetime vice presidential candidate Joe Lieberman
- Private meetings with senior officials from the State and Defense departments
- Panel discussion and reception with the National Committee on American Foreign Policy moderated by NCFP vice president Don Zagoria and Ambassador Nicholas Platt
- Visit with senior leaders from Microsoft in Redmond, WA
- Discussion and tour of the Boeing manufacturing plan in Everett
- Roundtable discussion on China’s economic reforms and international norms with leading members of NYC’s business community
Ambassador J. Stapleton Roy, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
Cheng Li, Brookings Institution
We wish to thank our sponsor, Microsoft Corporation