Qualified applicants for the Chinese Language Fellowship will:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Be a PhD student, with a focus on China and policy.
- Demonstrate an intermediate Chinese language ability (e.g., through course transcripts and/or the results of language assessment tests) and a clear commitment to expand these language skills. The fellowship is NOT intended to help beginner students of Chinese.
- Desire to advance public policy toward China through improved expertise and understanding, or to contribute to scholarly research and teaching on China in order to develop future generations of China specialists.
In addition to the qualifications above, qualified applicants for the Prospective PhD track of the Chinese Language Fellowship will:
- Have recently graduated from a master’s program or be currently enrolled in a master’s program.
- Demonstrate a strong interest in pursuing a PhD, with a focus on China and policy.
To apply, candidates must submit:
- A two-page summary resume (full academic CVs will not be reviewed).
- A two-page letter that addresses how their proposed Chinese language program will contribute to their language training, doctoral studies, and future plans.*
- A letter of recommendation from an academic supervisor or professor.**
- A letter of recommendation from a Chinese language teacher.
- A complete application form, answering questions about academic experiences, Chinese language skills, and Chinese language classes taken.
*If you are applying to the Prospective PhD track, please explain your plans to pursue a PhD program in your cover letter.
** If you are applying to the Prospective PhD track, please ask your academic supervisor or professor to address your aptitude for a PhD program in his/her letter of recommendation.
Download the complete Application Guidelines for the Chinese Language Fellowship Program, 2022–23 .
Application for the 2022-23 academic year is now open. Apply here. The application deadline is February 22, 2022.
The Chinese Language Fellowship Program team will review all applications in February and make recommendations to an independent selection committee that will meet and make decisions in March. Awards will be conferred and announced in mid-April 2022, prior to the registration deadlines for universities in Taiwan and China offering intensive language programs.
Download the Chinese Language Fellowship Program brochure.
For any questions, contact [email protected].