Maritime Energy Resources in Asia: 2009 Phase 1 Planning Meeting
2009 Phase 1 Workshop
NBR launched the project Maritime Energy Resources in Asia with a first-phase planning meeting entitled "Energy Cooperation and Contestation in Maritime Asia" on December 3-5, 2009, in Bali, Indonesia. The conference brought together the principal investigator and the members of the research teams to discuss their work. They were joined by the project’s senior advisors as well as other experts.
The first year of the project is focused on examining the roots of the disputes, the current situation, past efforts to negotiate joint development agreements, and dispute resolution models from outside the region. The December planning meeting gave team members the chance to present outlines and drafts of their research projects, receive feedback from senior scholars and colleagues, and build networks with peers from across the region. Following the planning meeting, the researchers will then begin to identify models that could be applied in the disputes. The planning meeting is an integral part of the first year of the project, and will help lay the foundation for the next two years of the project, which examine resource development models for these disputes.
To learn more about this initiative or the December 2009 planning meeting, please contact Stephanie Renzi.
Planning Meeting Participants
- Dr. I Made Andi Arsana, Australian National Centre for Ocean Resources and Security
- Dr. Lowell Bautista, Australian National Centre for Ocean Resources and Security
- Mr. Robert Beckman, National University of Singapore
- Ambassador Hasjim Djalal, Special Adviser to the Minister for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Government of Indonesia
- Dr. Ralf Emmers, Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies
- Dr. Gong Yingchun, International Law Department, China Foreign Affairs University
- Dr. Seokwoo Lee, INHA University Law School
- Dr. May Tan-Mullins, University of Nottingham, Ningbo
- Mr. Nick Owen, Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, Oxford University
- Mr. Yongwook Ryu, Harvard University
- Dr. Clive Schofield, Australian National Centre for Ocean Resources and Security
- Dr. Yann-huei Song, National Chung-Hsing University
- Dr. Ian Storey, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies
- Dr. Tran Truong Thuy, Program for South China Sea Studies, Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam
- Professor Ian Townsend-Gault, University of British Columbia
- Dr. Dustin Kuan-Hsiung Wang, National Taiwan Normal University
- Dr. Zhao Hong, National University of Singapore